Slade- The Slashing Blade (a short story)

 Short story: Slade- The Slashing Blade

────────────────────────

LOREANDCHAPTERS


Original Fiction


By Author of LoreandChapters


Reading Time: 5 minutes


────────────────────────

    SLADE— THE SLASHING BLADE


I woke up around midnight to the sound of strange murmuring from the kitchen. My first thought was that someone broke into my house, but upon listening closely I found that the voices sounded very high pitched almost like that of a cartoon character. This gave me some courage, 'Maybe my neighbors are watching television at this late hour and the sound is quite audible till my room.' I thought.


 Still, to satisfy my subconscious, I got up from my bed and tip-toed to my kitchen. As I peeped into the kitchen, I froze on the spot, not believing the stupendous sight in front of me.


My kitchen knife, a perfectly motionless non-living object, now stood by itself on some tiny, thin rope-like structure which then occurred to me as its “limbs”. It was leaning over the fruit basket and talking indistinctly into it. But then something moved inside the basket. I stood hiding in the dark when I saw that the fruits inside the basket had limbs too and were moving to and fro!


Suddenly an apple spoke up, 'Please let us live, we are to be eaten tomorrow morning at breakfast. Please spare us.'


A speaking fruit! I couldn't believe my eyes and stumbled in shock. But in doing so I accidentally knocked a broom which was standing by the wall.

The sound startled me as well as the “objects” on the kitchen counter. All of them turned and saw me. I felt uncomfortable under the gaze of  my kitchen knife and the fruits I devour at breakfast. I then realized that I definitely must be dreaming.

The knife narrowed its glowing red eyes when it saw me, then jumped towards me in excitement and spoke in a brilliant loud voice, 'Aha! So we are discovered by the human. Well, no worries, it was bound to happen someday.'

It then pointed its fingers at me which were no longer than the tip of a pen. 'Bow before me human! I am Slade, The Slashing Blade and I am about to murder the fruits in your basket in cold blood.’


It then laughed a horrible laugh. I stared at it dumbfounded, when slowly realizing it's just a dream I found my words. 'You're a kitchen knife. Shut up.'


My words struck the knife like a thunderclap. He shrunk back a little and gulped. But then, as though recovering his pride, he stood up tall before me and commanded, 'You shall not disrespect Slade, you vile human. I am the slashing Blade and I shall slash your throat. Hm, I see that you're still not afraid. Well, let this set an example for you.'


With this, he walked towards the basket, picked up the apple who spoke earlier and pierced his blade into the poor thing. My stomach dropped as I heard the shriek of the apple when it got cut in half. Slade then threw both the halves on the floor and turned its juice-stained blade towards me.

It was then that I realized I was standing in the presence of a cold-blooded murderer. Slade's mouth tilted into a devilish smirk and he started walking very slowly in my direction.


I wanted to run but fear gripped my legs, not allowing them to move. So I started shouting like a maniac, 'What do you want? Why are you doing this? Why are you doing this!?' This couldn't be real. This has to be a dream and if it is, then God I want to wake up.

Slade stopped in his tracks, looked up at me and simply said, 'It is a full moon tonight. That's why.'


'Huh?'

I blinked cluelessly at this. What did he say? A full moon?


'Look out the window. Tonight is a full moon.'


I took a glimpse out of the small kitchen window and saw that indeed it was a full moon. But what has it got to do with kitchen knives and fruits coming to life?


'So what?' I threw the question at him.


Slade sighed like a teacher does at a dumb student. 

'The full moon is a medium for me to come alive.’ He started walking on the kitchen counter, hands back, like an important person. The apple juice (or in this case, blood?) was dripping from his sharp tip.

‘It sends a sort of “life-granting” shockwaves to earth which I personally like to call “The Nova Waves”. Cool, isn’t it?’ He grinned.


‘Yes, I’m sure..’ 

The Nova Waves send us motionless utensils into a series of vibrations. The vibrations are so strong that they ignite something inside of us, like our "core", and we come alive.'


'But why just a kitchen knife? I own so many other utensils, why didn't they come to life? Why only you?'


'Because I'm your favorite knife, aren't I?' Slade smiled gently at me as he said this. The sight of a knife smiling at me was something.


'But you were just about to kill me!' I shouted at him.


Slade gave a loud laugh which echoed in the silence. 'I was just joking with you. Why would I want to kill you? My owner. I wanted to make it memorable since it is the first time we've come face to face and the next time will not be very soon. The next full moon is a long way away.' He turned to face the moon out the window.


'Wait! So I shall see you every full moon?'

'Yes you shall, unless…  you have a new favorite kitchen tool.'

'How did the fruits come alive though? They're not a kitchen tool.' I said as I noticed the apples and oranges squirming uncomfortably in the basket.


Slade took a look at them and said, 'I transferred my vibrations to them. Yes I can do that. I wanted to have some fun, that's all. I never expected in a million years it would wake you up. Sorry about that.'

'Oh, yeah no worries. I really enjoyed talking to' I hesitated because perhaps it would be rude to call him just a kitchen knife, 'you.'

 'How long are you going to stay alive for?' I added.


'I come alive for an hour. I will go lifeless when the clock strikes one.'

We both glanced at the clock in the dining room at this and  it struck one in front of my eyes. 'Well', Slade said 'I guess this is it. I hope, I really do, that we shall meet again. Farewell owner.' With this his limbs disappeared and he fell lifeless on the counter.


I stood there motionless for a few seconds, then walked back to my bedroom in a daze. I slipped into the covers and mumbled, 'What a weird dream.', before falling into a deep slumber.


I woke up the next morning quite late. School was only in an hour so I hurriedly walked towards the kitchen to have my breakfast when the sight of something stopped me dead in my tracks. For there was an apple cut into two pieces lying on the floor.



──────────────────────── Thank you for reading. © 2026 Author of LoreandChapters First published on LoreandChapters. All rights reserved. ────────────────────────

If you enjoyed this story, please share the original post instead of reposting the text elsewhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Watch me Overanalyze Mike Rogers

If you're a Nerd, you're Home